Saturday, February 22, 2014

Oscar nominated animated short: Possessions

Possessions

Short description (from AWN):
A weary traveler finds shelter in a shrine for old tools, appeasing angry spirits with his expert repairs.


Credits:
Directed by Shuhei Morita


"The art of" article on Cartoon Brew:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/possessions-the-art-of-the-oscar-nominated-shorts-96264.html


Shot (from Crave Online) :






















The official trailer:



My personal opinion (no spoilers):
This is probably the hardest short film for me to give my opinion on. I don't really know what to think yet, so I'll keep it short.

It looks great, the 3D incorporated into a 2D anime style looks really great. It reminds me of Ni No Kuni (PS3 game), in which they made the classic Studio Ghibli style in 3D.

Shuhei Morita about the story: Stories that are written in old Japanese folk stories usually don’t have big actions or surprising tricks. They are very simple, but attract people somehow.[...] It is based on the story that objects have souls. (Source.)
The main character finds refuge in a shelter where he meets objects that have souls. I can't say much more about the story I'm afraid. It sounds like it has great potential being based on Japanese folklore, and I've read that this has been executed to great effect;
Fortunately the story is so clever and likable that criticizing the art style is just quibbling. [...] a witty, energetic story with a moral that is intriguingly unlikely, and refreshingly hard to debate. (Source.)

On a random note: it features a full one minute yawn scene, I don't even know what to think about that!

I think it looks pretty great and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the complete film, but I can't really form much of an opinion based on what I've seen and read about it. I've read a review that chose this short as the winner of the Oscar, but I can't comment on that until I've seen the complete story and its execution. I previously thought Mr. Hublot would win, but this does get great reviews, so I can't be sure anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment