Thursday, January 30, 2014

Oscar nominated animated short: Get a Horse

Get a Horse

Short description (Official description from IMDb):
Mickey, Minnie, Horace Horsecollar, and Clarabelle Cow go on a musical wagon ride until Peg-Leg Pete tries to run them off the road.


Credits:
Directed by Lauren MacMullan
Produced by Dorothy McKim


Maquettes (by Andrea Blasich, from her blog) :




















Retro Mickey
(from Babble)


























The official trailer:



My personal opinion (slight spoilers):
Let me start by being honest: I haven't seen the full thing yet, so I can't judge this completely. The crowd seems to be really divided on this one. Some go as far as saying that they loved Get A Horse better than Frozen (the movie before which Get A Horse was featured).

(Spoilers up ahead)
But the preview ends before any of the real magic happens. I have been told that in the pursuit of Minnie, they enter the 3D world. Without having seen this myself I can't say too much about that, but it has been called "a forced gimmick".

So what can I say about this? Well I love how they've taken the classic look but the animation quality is so much better! Just look at the cow at the end, the rhythm, the overlapping action, it's superb!

This serves as an ode to the past and present Disney. The recapture of classic Mickey Mouse was necessary for the story, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. They intentionally made mistakes in the 2D to make it look authentic.It's just that... Adam and Dog (2011) was also an ode to Disney and times past, but it managed to be a thing of the present and very much do and be it's own thing, and I kind of respect that more. It kinda feels like Get A Horse very elaborately copied things that were 60 years old and added a 3D gimmick on top of that.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen it yet, the above opinion is part prediction and partly based on what others have said.

Lastly, this might have been an obvious piece to be nominated for an Oscar for the simple fact that it's origin is Disney. Not to hate on Disney, but I would like something newer and fresher to win. I don't want this to win based on nostalgia alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment