Thursday, September 5, 2013

Animation blogs and websites

Hey again guys!

I usually try to keep up with animation news and I'm always on the lookout for people sharing their behind the scenes peeks and news. I get a small kick out of seeing and knowing things first, haha, but I also just love seeing lots of different things. There is just so much out there that is outside of my realm of imagination, how can you not want to see everything!
In this post I wanted to share with you some of the sources that I regularly check for anything animation related, I hope you enjoy them!

CartoonBrew: is very varied, they share news from the big studios and industry, to indie gems, to featured amazing, inspiring artists. Also, I've seen some big names replying to articles here too, looks like this is a site they use to keep up with things as well.

AnimSchoolBlog: because they not only share inspiring animschool student work, but they also do collaborations with big studio animators. Of course they want to sell to potential animschool students just how great they are, but they honestly do make helpful videos and make interesting webcasts and podcasts with inspiring animators too!

Deja View: because, well, to keep it short, Andreas Deja (who worked for Disney for 30 years) shows us a one of a kind peek behind Disney's nine old men curtain! He shares his personal experiences with the nine old men (and other Disney animators) of whom he was a student and colleague, and he also shares his observations of 2D animation and sketches.

BigScreenAnimation: shares (a lot of bits of) news exclusively about the big studios. This is where I go if I need to know for sure what happened in detail.

Spungella: is a website updated by Jean Denis, an animator working at Industrial Light & Magic. He usually updates in batches, just putting up there whatever he finds interesting. He updates pretty irregularly, but it usually is stuff I hadn't seen before and when he shares news it regularly happens that he is the fastest in sharing it.

Vimeo: well this is a bit of a mainstream source isn't it. The reason I included it is because they manage to feature quite a lot of work that didn't get a lot of attention before being featured. I've seen a couple of absolute gems there, right before they massively started circulating the internet.

I bet there are lots more great sources out there, but these are the main ones that I track. If any of you have any suggestions I'd be so happy to check them out!

Concept art for Zootopia, found on BigScreenAnimation, already a month old though.

No comments:

Post a Comment