Saturday, May 26, 2012

Michaël Dudok de Wit

With the promise of a new animation short film from mr. de Wit, I just couldn't resist making a post on this brilliant animator (even though I should be writing reports right now).

Michaël Dudok de Wit is an (Academy) award winning animator from the Netherlands who is most known for two short films: The Monk and the Fish (1994) and Father and Daughter (2000). It was confirmed in a French newspaper that he is once again making a return to the short film business, this time co-produced by none other than Ghibli Studios.

I had seen his two previously mentioned short films, but that was long ago, long before I learned to appreciate these sort of things. But now that I've re-seen them, I can't help but love them again. The quirkyness of the monk's animation, the endless longing that the Father and Daughter portrays, they made me happy for completely different reasons, but I love them all the same. I have to admit that there's a bit of the Dutch character that I can't help but identify with, but I know you'll love them too even without having any connection to the Netherlands. Ah well, you'll see what I mean when you watch them. Enjoy!

Father and Daughter



The Monk and the Fish


No comments:

Post a Comment