Sunday, March 4, 2012

Three stopmotion movies coming up!

This year appears to be a good one for stopmotion fans like me! The trailer for Paranorman and The Pirates! have been out for quite a while already and 3 days ago the first trailer for the movie Frankenweenie was published! So here's a quick introduction to all three of them.


In order of movie debut:

The Pirates! Band of Misfits 
Release: April 25th (Netherlands)
From the creators of Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run.
Story: Pirate Captain sets out on a mission to defeat his rivals Black Bellamy and Cutlass Liz for the Pirate of the year Award. The quest takes Captain and his crew from the shores of Blood Island to the foggy streets of Victorian London.
Opinion: I must admit that I've watched Wallace and Gromit: The curse of the were-rabbit only recently. The trailer never made me that curious about it really. It all seemed rather straightforward, the story, the humor, the characters (and their progressions), but it surprised me quite a bit! Definitely a very enjoyable movie. And with this trailer I have kind of the same feeling, I'm not all too curious about it. However having seen curse of the were-rabbit I'm hoping that Band of Misfits will surprise me also!





Paranorman 
Release: August 16th (Netherlands) 
From the creators of Coraline.
Story: A misunderstood boy who can speak with the dead, takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.
Opinion: Talk about a classy trailer! Of the three I'm most looking forward to seeing this one, because the animation is to me the smoothest I've seen for stopmotion yet! And actually all the visuals look stunning, don't they just!





Frankenweenie
Release: October 5th (USA)
From the producer of Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride (obviously)
Story: Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences.
Opinion: It's been rumored that Tim Burton was recreating an older creation of his own making and here it is; the first trailer of his newest project! He got fired at Disney after making Frankenweenie, because they thought the movie would be too dark and scary for kids, and here it is again!
The movie will completely be in black and white, which I don't know if I like so much. I don't think it's a Bad choice necessarily, but if you look at the picture below, I would've liked to have seen it like that instead of fully desaturated. This is interesting to me because I'm making a fully desaturated short myself at the moment. Still I'm looking forward to seeing a Tim Burton movie again, hopefully it'll live up to it's expectations!














No comments:

Post a Comment