Friday, March 30, 2012

Pandas animation trick - Cliches

Oh dear, I've been slacking off... I've been trying to focus on my graduation project so much that everything else has been catching dust for the last week or so. It's hard to balance everything sometimes... I need to make a to do list for everyday things so I don't neglect anything...

Something that you get to terms with as an animator is that you have to focus on a 100 things at the same time, have to take everything into account, and nothing can be off or the animation won't work (as well as it could do). I'm of course talking about weight, balance, timing, rhythm, line of action, posing, silhouette, storytelling, emotion, and the list goes on, and on, and on. We have to gain a feel and insight for all of these things and the moment we try to push our work we will gain that insight. Sometimes we are struck by insight, other times we just have to be made aware of it by someone straight out telling us!

The next video was posted on the 11secondclub blog and it made me aware of some things we see in beginner animation more often that we think. I immediately recognized the fingerpointing one from other animations and I'm certainly guilty of the W shape one, also the symmetrical animation part. There are many more examples than mentioned in his video, and now you will recognize them when you see 'em.

So here's another thing to add to those 100 things we need to pay attention to while animating: Watch out for animation cliches!

No comments:

Post a Comment