Friday, February 10, 2012

Animated Short Oscar Nominees 5/5 - Mr. Morris Lessmore

The fantastic flying books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, my personal favorite to win the Oscar for best Animated Short. It was directed by William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg and among the inspirations for the short are Hurricane Katrina, "The Wizard of Oz," Buster Keaton and, of course, books. The story starts in New Orleans with the Keaton-like Mr. Morris Lessmore writing a book on the balcony of a hotel. A menacing storm swirls into town, blowing away houses and street signs, taking Mr. Lessmore and his unfinished book with it. Morris is transported to a land filled with fluttering novels; a land where he can dedicate his life to filling his book with the abundance of words he is now surrounded with. Being a story lover myself I think this captures the very best of what stories color our lives with.

Also note that the animation style is influenced by stopmotion, really well done too! You can find some of the making of's in the below link. I could've sworn there were more making of's, but I can't for the love of me remember where I've seen those.
http://www.directorsnotes.com/2011/07/17/the-fantastic-flying-books-of-mr-morris-lessmore/





No comments:

Post a Comment